Dubrovnik is a beautiful coastal city in the south part of Croatia. It is a vacation city that is quite is the winter and a popular vacation spot in the summer.
Things to Do
- Walk the City Walls – Dubrovnik is best known for it’s old town area, a small historical area of town completely surrounded by large fortress wall that enclose the city. For a low price you can walk around the complete perimeter of the city walls and enjoy numerous restaurants, cafes, and shops within the city. You may also recognize Dubrovnik’s old town as King’s Landing from the populate HBO series Game of Thrones. The show does a lot of filming here.
- Kayak Around Lokrum Island – When walking the city walls you will most likely see a number of kayakers in the surrounding waters. This was our favorite activity while we were in Dubrovnik. Thought it might look hot, it was a great relief after walking the city walls all day to be in the water. Kayakers have the option to kayak all the way around Lokrum Island, an uninhabited island just off Dubrovnik. The kayak tour also includes snorkeling (though there’s not much to see) and stops off at an area for an opportunity to do some cliff jumping.
- Cliff Jumping – Cliff jumping is a popular activity in the Balkans and Dubrovnik offers a few locations for those who are willing to give it a try. The most populate spot is off of Buza I and Buza II which are bars built into the cliff side that can be accessed through Old Town. It’s also a great place to get a drink! The kayaking excursions will also take your to a small beach that has a populate cliff jumping spot.
- Eat Dinner at Panorama –Panorama is the only restaurant in the city that will allow you to have a complete aerial view of Dubrovnik. Accessible by a cable car near Old Town, visitors can visit Panorama for breathtaking views of the city, Old Town, surrounding islands, and amazing sunsets. This restaurant is popular so try to make a reservation before going to ensure a table. A day of reservation is usually enough time to get a table.
- Game of Thrones Walking Tour – For those who are big fans of HBO’s Game of Thrones, a number of companies offer Game of Thrones walking tours that will explain where various Game of Thrones episodes and events were filmed in Dubrovnik. There is also a gift shop in Old Town that allows visitors to sit on the Iron Throne – the only catch is you are required to buy something from the shop to do so.
- Banje Beach – While majority of the beaches in Dubrovnik are rocky beaches, Banje is a beautiful beach just a 5 minute walk south of Old Town.
When to Go
The best time to visit Dubrovnik is in September and October when the temperatures have cooled down a bit from the hot summer months. June through August, the peak season, are the hottest with temperatures in the high 80 degree Fahrenheit. They area also the most crowded months with massive cruise ship crowds that the small city struggles to hold. The peak season, summer, has arguably the nicest weather with average high temperatures fluttering around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Prices drop from October through April, but so will the temperatures and the beach appeal.